Protect Your RV With the Right Insurance | YourPolicy

Blog > Protect Your RV With the Right Insurance

Protect Your RV With the Right Insurance

You’ve finally made the decision to buy a recreational vehicle as an alternative to your typical family vacation. You’re looking forward to having total flexibility, which is one of the biggest perks of owning an RV. You’re not tied to a schedule, you can travel at your own pace, and you can take alternate routes for some unique sightseeing. It’s a good way to avoid airport and train delays, visit friends and family, and stay connected with nature while avoiding the inconvenience of sleeping in an uncomfortable tent.

Regardless of your plans for using your RV, you need to protect it with insurance. Unforeseen events occur when we least expect them, and you want the peace of mind that comes with knowing that your home away from home is protected from financial loss. Here at YourPolicy our friendly, knowledgeable agents will work with you to find the best RV coverage to fit your needs and your budget.

Protect Your RV With the Right Insurance

Start With the Basics

The insurance you choose depends on the type of vehicle you own along with the frequency of your usage. Recreational vehicles include three major classes: Class A, Class B, and Class C.

Class A

Class A RVs are the biggest and most expensive and include luxury coaches, motorcoaches, and converted buses. They contain some of the same luxuries that you see in a home, such as separate areas for living, dining, kitchen, and bathrooms. They can be up to 75 feet long and have the largest space for storing cargo.

Class B

Class B vehicles are the smallest RV but the easiest to drive. They are often known as campervans and are great for day trips and short-distance trips. They do not have a cab-over and sometimes include amenities like kitchen and bathroom areas.

Class C

Class C vehicles use a standard cargo van as the driving section of the RV, with the camper section extending over the cab area. Despite these mid-sized vehicles being less expensive than Class A, they are complete with amenities. This class also includes fifth-wheel vehicles.

Protect Your RV With the Right Insurance

Whichever type of vehicle you own, you’ve made a huge investment for your family. Whether you own a small pop-up trailer or a mega motor home, it’s important to mitigate your risk of loss with the right insurance.

Travel Trailer Insurance: Don’t mistake thinking that your car insurance is sufficient coverage for your RV travel trailer. Standard insurance only covers a trailer when it is hooked up to the vehicle that is pulling it and will not cover your motorhome.

Medium Trucks: If your truck bed camper is on a truck that is 10,000 pounds or more, you are not covered under your normal auto policy. Purchasing RV insurance is a must in this situation.

Replacement Costs: When you’re looking for insurance, inquire as to whether your quote includes Actual Cash Value (ACV), Agreed Value, or Total Loss Replacement (TLR). ACV is the market value of your RV as determined by a third-party source. Agreed Value means that the company and the policyholder agree to an amount upfront, and TLR means that the insured will be provided with a replacement for an RV that is under 5 years old.

Emergency Expenses: If your RV is your full-time “home on wheels” check to be sure that your policy reimburses you for living expenses should an accident occur. Some policies will reimburse you for hotel bills, meals, and transportation if your RV breaks down more than 80 miles from home.

Roadside Assistance: In case of an accident or breakdown, the cost of towing an RV can be more than double the cost of towing a standard vehicle. If you drive highways regularly, you should be prepared with roadside assistance in the event of an emergency.

Liability Insurance: RV owners can be held liable for injuries and damages occurring as a result of an accident in or around their RV. If you damage another vehicle or if a person is injured, your liability insurance will pay for repairs and medical bills. If you are sued as the result of an accident, your RV liability insurance will pay for the legal costs. If you drive a motorhome, this type of insurance is required in all states.

Comprehensive Insurance: Comprehensive plans cover damage to your RV that is not caused by a collision, but by an event that is out of your control. Examples of losses covered by comprehensive insurance are theft, vandalism, falling tree branches, and natural disasters.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Protection: If a driver who is uninsured or underinsured hits your RV, you could be responsible for medical and repair bills unless you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This protection pays for the medical expenses, rehabilitation, and funeral costs incurred by you and any other passengers in your vehicle as well as the settlement of any lawsuits caused by motorists in this category.

Personal Property: The personal effects inside your RV, but not attached to it, are covered by personal property insurance. You probably have computers, televisions, and other specialized equipment in your vehicle. Whether the loss is due to damage or theft, your insurance will either repair or replace your belongings.

Whether you have a Class A luxury coach or a less expensive camper van, give yourself the peace of mind of having the right RV insurance. You’ll be able to relax and enjoy your vacations knowing you and your family are protected against financial loss due to unforeseen circumstances. Contact the agents at YourPolicy for details and information on the right RV insurance for your specific needs.